Octagon Bulova Can anyone help? Date? Pre 1920?

Radercat Radercat

Octagon Bulova Can anyone help? Date? Pre 1920?

Hello, I am trying to gain some information on this Bulova Ladies watch. It is Octagon shaped, single hinge, black cord band, the movement is marked Bulova W.Co.  15 JL's 3 Adjts. Swiss. There is also a small mark on movement that reads Revela. The case is marked American Standard, W.C.Co Warranted 25 Years 3798795. It looks like Rose Gold Plated? This watch does run.  I have not been able to find any further info...
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: Octagon Bulova Can anyone help? Date? Pre 1920?

That is an interesting watch!  Thanks for sharing it.  My first thought was that you have an old movement in a 1940s case, because we don't see rose gold Bulovas until the 1940s.  However, the case markings you have indicated--American Standard, 25 Years--are Bulova markings and do indicate a very early case.  (See Bulova Case Signatures for more information).

Also, know the movement is early because of the "Bulova W. Co." signature, which changed to "Bulova Watch Co." in approximately 1924.  See Dating a Bulova for more information.

According to my research, rose gold was invented in the 1920s (comes from mixing copper with gold), though it was not popular, and, as noted, not seen in the ads we have for Bulova nor in the watches we have collected.  You appear to have something rather rare.

There are a couple of other oddities about your watch.  The serial number is not what we usually see on watches that early.  Typically, the serial starts with a "1", or, less commonly, "2".    Also, you did not include a caliber for the watch (e.g., 10A).  Is there a caliber designation on the movement?  The name "Revela" is not familiar to me.  The lack of a caliber designation may also be an indication of a very early watch.  I have one like this in my collection and believe it to be one of the very earliest watches that Bulova produced (i.e., Lady Maxim).

I also note that the dial does not appear to read "Bulova".  Is that correct?  The absence of a signed dial could very well be another indication of a very early model, as we know from advertisements that Bulova did not always put its name on the dial.

It would be interesting to know for sure whether your watch has a signed dial and a movement caliber.  Also, more pictures, including clear, detailed shots of the inside of the case and the movement, would be great.  There may be a small symbol on the movement that could tell us when the movement was made. (See Bulova Date Codes for a list of the known symbols).  I don't know that I can provide any more information about the watch, though.  The very old models are still a bit of a mystery to collectors, and efforts to identify and understand them are on-going.

Thanks for sharing this very special watch.
- Lisa