Need help with two Bulova watches please.

Al M. Al M.

Need help with two Bulova watches please.

Hello all, I am new to the forums.  I hope someone can help me with some info on a couple of watches.  One is a 1972 Accuquartz, the other is a ladies watch, my mom's, from 1960.  Any help would be great, thank you!

Al M. Al M.

Re: Need help with two Bulova watches please.

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum, if I did, please feel free to move, thank you.
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: Need help with two Bulova watches please.

Hi, AI.  Welcome to Watchophilia!

It sounds like you already know quite a bit about the watches--most importantly the dates.  Did you determine the dates by the codes on the cases and movements?  If not, take a look at these tutorials to understand how to determine the manufacture date of a particular watch:   Dating a Bulova, and Bulova Date Codes.

You are correct that the men's model is an Accuquartz, which was a combination of the Accutron tuning fork and quartz movements.   The ladies' watch is one of the extensive line of American Girl models, which have the distinctive bangle bracelet and were made throughout the 1950s and into the early 1960s.

Is there particular information you were hoping to obtain about these nice watches?
- Lisa
Al M. Al M.

Re: Need help with two Bulova watches please.

Thanks for the reply Lisa, Yes I got the dates from the codes on the back, I just wanted to know a little more about them, such as how many years did the make the Accuquartz for, is it of any value, it is 14kt gold, and is in great working condition. the ladies model works also, but is a little more worn, especially on the bracelet. Would it be worth it to have it restored? Is it a very popular model? These are some of the things I would like to find out about them. Thank you, Al M.
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: Need help with two Bulova watches please.

My understanding is that the Accuquartz was only made for about four years, though I have not seen official documentation of that fact, so take it with a grain of salt.  Suffice it to say that the Accuquartz wasn't made for very long, because the pure quartz movement took over from there.  The quartz is cheaper to make and maintain, so it won the edge.

As the solid 14k gold version of the most recognizable of the Accuquartz models, your watch is prized by collectors and is worth some money, particularly since you state that it is in very good condition.  How much it is worth is difficult to say, since prices on auction sites like eBay can vary widely based on many factors such as seller reputation, day and time of sale, age and condition of the watch, rarity of the watch (real or perceived), quality of the sales presentation, and who's buying on any particular day.  With so many factors at play, it is impossible to provide a definite value.  I would say, however, that the watch is valuable and highly collectible, and if it were mine, I'd hang on to it, keep it well maintained, and wear it with pride.

As for the American Girl, I should have added in my previous post that it could be a "Canadian Girl" model.  They were the same watch, just with different names depending on where the particular example was made.  The "Girls" are abundant and not as sought after as the solid gold Accuquartz.  I do not know what sort of restoration you are contemplating, so it's difficult to say whether it would be worth it.  It is one of those models that comes up for sale often on auction sites, so it may be more cost effective to purchase a better example, assuming you want to keep it in your collection, and this example has no particular sentimental value.  If you want to sell it at auction, I doubt you'd recover much in the way of restoration costs.  If it is special, and you want to hang on to it, then by all means invest a little in fixing it up so that it looks its best.  Opinions can differ on these things, though, so my best advice is watch eBay and see what you think based on current values.
- Lisa