Ladies 14K Bulova circa 1931?

LCOX LCOX

Ladies 14K Bulova circa 1931?

I have a ladies deco watch that looks identical to the 1931 Nightingale shown on this site. However, the case on mine is marked Bulova 14K Solid Gold New York on the inside back. The movement is a 15 jewel 4 adjustment 6AF.  Any info on this model is appreciated.
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: Ladies 14K Bulova circa 1931?

Hi, LCOX.  Thanks for sharing your watch.  Unfortunately, I don't have an ad that shows what it is.

You are certainly correct that it looks like the Nightingale, missing the sweep seconds hand, just like my 1931 example.  However, our recently discovered ad for the Nightingale does not indicate that it is a solid gold model.  In fact, the ad clearly specifies "white gold plated".  Typically, solid gold models have a different name from the filled or plated versions.  So, without a matching ad, I would consider this one an "unknown".

Does it have the longer stem to accommodate the sweep seconds hand?  If not, I would definitely assume that it is not a Nightingale, regardless of the case composition.

We keep looking for, and finding, new ads, so check back often to see if we've found a name for your lovely watch.

- Lisa