I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

1955mercury 1955mercury

I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

I don't know anything about women's Bulovas and I'm hoping to get some help identifying
this one. Some preliminary information. There is absolutely nothing on the outside of the
case back. Inside the case back is stamped: Pat. June 10. 1924
                                                                Bulova
                                                                    14K
                                                               Gold Filled
                                                                New York
                                                              913(some kind of symbol) 118
Note* The symbol looks like a zero that has the center cut out horizontally.

The movement is a 6AP, 15 jewel, 4 adjustments. It has the serial number 73460 on it.
I don't see a date symbol on it anywhere. It has a jewel crown and the crystal has
yellowed with age I presume.

watchophilia watchophilia

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

Nice one!  I love the old watches.

Let's start with some basics about models that age:

- The outside back of the case is always blank
- The patent date inside the case does not indicate the date of the watch
- The number below the signature on the inside of the case is the serial number. Sometimes all the numbers fail to get stamped clearly.  It's almost always the zeros that have the problem, so that's probably what you've got in the middle of yours.
- The inside of the cases of these old watches are usually full of scribbles that we believe are notes made by watchmakers who serviced the watch through the years.  We do not know how to decipher them, and we don't believe they would tell us anything about the watch's origin.
- The first digit of the serial number is "9", which indicates a date for the case of 1929.
- The movement will have a tiny symbol on it that tells us the date of the movement. If the movement date symbol matches the case serial number, the symbol will be something that looks kind of like a shield.  It is possible to have a movement without a date symbol, but the vast majority of them have one.  They can be very difficult to spot.  You will likely have to remove the dust shield and retainer ring to see it, as they are usually near the edge of the movement, and the yellowish dust cover makes the movement too difficult to see well.

Now I'm going to take a look at the ads to see if I can spot a match.  There are quite a few ladies' models that have very similar shapes to yours, and the engraving can be difficult to decipher in the old ads, but I'll see what I can do.

Back in a few.

- Lisa
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

Here's what I mean about the ladies' models being hard to ID.   Check out the Ramona and the Romola.

- Lisa
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

I took a picture of the movement without the shield while I was taking these, but that's
the only one that wasn't clear, so I didn't put it on here and I had already put the watch
back together and didn't really feel like taking it apart again and loading another picture
to the bucket. I know what the symbols look like and I looked at the movement in this
watch with my optivisor with the loupe down and I didn't see one. I think it's a 1929 like the case. And by golly, I think you hit the nail on the head with the Remona. The reason I say this is because the dial has a wide elliptical circle in the center and the
case has engraving around the crystal and it has the jeweled crown.
Thanks a million. Funny you could get a 14k gold one for only $5 more in 1929. But I
guess that was a lot of money during the depression.
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

I found a better ad for the Romola, and this version of the Ramona ad may be just a little bit clearer.

- Lisa
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

Now that I look at those ads again, I think my 1928 Romola is actually the Ramona.
- Lisa
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: I need help identifying this ladies Bulova

You've got yours labeled right. I just looked at yours in your collection and held mine right beside the picture of yours. Yours has a pencil thin elliptical circle in the center
of the dial. The circle on the one I have is about an 1/8 of an inch wide, with little hash marks all around the inside of it.