Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

LCOX LCOX

Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

I recently purchased the Bulova shown in the images attached. I've never seen this model before and I can't find it in any of my reference material. Anyone have any information on this watch? It does have a 1998 engraving on the back but I'm hoping this is not a piece/parts put together watch. Thanks.<nabble_img src="1.jpg" border="0"/ border="0"/>
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

Hi LCOX. I don't know what you have as I have never seen a Bulova like yours before. I
can see a date code of "L?" on the movement. Maybe "L3"? If so, the movement was made in 1953. I know it's not a 1998 model because the last year for the 7AA movement was 1954.
  The Bulova cases during that time period would have had "Bulova" engraved on the inside of the case back and yours doesn't. I suspect you have a Bulova made from random parts but I'm not 100% certain. Any year Bulova could have 1998 engraved on the back of the case.
LCOX LCOX

Re: Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

Thanks 1955 Mercury. Bulova is engraved on the inside of the case back. I know the movement is a vintage mechanical wind. My concern is that someone retrofitted a vintage movement into a newer Bulova case....I hope not though! It's interesting how the dial only partially covers the movement on one end and extends past the other end. I've seen vintage Elgin Doctor's watches with a similar dial application to the movement.
babyboy babyboy

Re: Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

It's "unique" to say the least, but it doesn't look like anything Bulova would have produced.

The "1998" engravings you referred to inside the case back are probably service marks.
dongd dongd

Re: Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

Hi are the words Bulova Swiss 3870  engraved or printed inside the case back. ? they do look printed from the pics
LCOX LCOX

Re: Help identifying Bulova Doctor's Watch

All of the writing inside the back of the case is engraved.