1963 Senator A ??

1955mercury 1955mercury

1963 Senator A ??

I just adopted this Bulova a few days ago. I got it running this morning. I'm pretty
sure it's a 1963 Senator A, but would like your opinion. Some details about it are:
Movement: 11AF  17 jewels  M2 stamped
Case back: Bulova M3  10K RGP Bezel Stainless Steel Back  G505057
Case inside: 2019
Crystal measurement with digital caliber: 22.4 X 20.2

watchophilia watchophilia

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

It may be a Senator A, but I am not sure about that. There are two reasons for my uncertainty.

First, the dial on your watch does not match any of the ads we have for the Senator A, and we have lots of ads for it.  The dial on the well known Senator A is fully numbered.  I know of two other examples of this watch with your dial--including one in my possession--so I don't believe you have a random re-dial or replacement dial.  I think there was a watch made with that case and that dial.

The other reason for my doubt is the late date of your watch.  By the early 1960s, the style of the Senators had changed quite a bit.  I've got a 1963 Senator that shows the style for that model at that time.  Also, I'm pretty sure that we don't see the Senator A in the ads after 1958, maybe as late as 1959.  That's a pretty big gap for that time period.

It is entirely possible that your watch is a Senator A.  I am not concluding anything as fact, but rather expressing my doubts and throwing out the possibility that, by the 1960s, this case with this dial combination had a different name.  It would not be at all unusual for Bulova to use the same case, change the dial, and call it something else.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I have this same model in a 1962 case labeled as a Senator A, and I need to either change that to "Unknown" or add a note in the listing that expresses my reservations about the model ID.
- Lisa
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

I've got to learn to look at every minute detail. I was going by the picture of the one you
have listed as a Senator A to identify mine. I just saw the case looked exactly the same
and that it had the lower portion of the 6 under the sub-second hand. I never noticed
the one you show has the numerals 3 and 9. Mine just have two hash marks for the 3
and 9. Actually the marks look like two triangles or roof shapes, one turned upside down
under the other. The marks for the 1-5-7-11 looks like they put these two triangles
together. I never noticed that until I looked at it just now. It looks like they split the
marker at the 3 and 9 position. That's odd that they would do that for 2 of the numbers.
For economical reasons one would think they would have used uniform markers for all
the numbers represented by something other than the actual number.
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

Mine is obviously a re-dial.  The blue color would not have been original.  I need to find a replacement for it.  I have a 1950s Senator A waiting to get posted, but it has the fully numbered dial.

I know of another example with your exact dial.  It is dated 1961.
- Lisa
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

Silly me.  The ad that shows your watch is, in fact, a Senator A is posted right here on Watchophilia.  The ad is dated 1962 and is in the 1960s section of the Advertisement pages.  Here it is:

- Lisa
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

Everything looks identical to mine except for on small detail. I just took this picture
of a side angle of mine. The case lugs on the side of mine are definitely smooth. The
one in the ad appears to have ridges on the side of the case lugs. What's your opinion
on this detail?
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

I don't think the ad is showing the side of the lugs at all.  I don't think Bulova would base a model name change on such a small detail.  I think the ad is a perfect match for your watch.

By the way, you mentioned in a post above that my 1960s Senator A has the three and nine on the dial.  It does not.  It has markers for the 3 and the 9 just like yours, and just like the ad I posted above.
- Lisa
1955mercury 1955mercury

Re: 1963 Senator A ??

Alright then. Senator A it is.