1939 AMERICAN EAGLE C IN SOLID 14K

LCOX LCOX

1939 AMERICAN EAGLE C IN SOLID 14K

I recently purchased  a watch with a case that looks exactly like the 1939 Bulova American Eagle C shown on this website. It is marked inside the back "Bulova New York 14K Solid Gold" the movement is a 21 Jewel Adjusted 7AP. I was wondering if any one has seen this model in solid gold before or is it a different model since it is solid gold?Looks like 1939 American Eagle C but in Solid Gold
watchophilia watchophilia

Re: 1939 AMERICAN EAGLE C IN SOLID 14K

This post was updated on .
Well, I have a theory on this one.  Unfortunately, it's just a theory--which means I can't back it up with any hard evidence--but I think it's a pretty good one.

A recently discovered ad dated 1939 shows a model called the "Golden Eagle".  The ad doesn't give any details about the watch.  It simply gives the name and shows an image that looks very similar to your watch, and, as you pointed out, also just like one variation of the well known American Eagle.  But there's something interesting about this ad, which makes me think it could be your watch.

Not only has the watch been given a different name, but it is also listed at a much higher price then any of the other watches in the ad.  In fact, it cost almost twice as much as the average price of all the other watches shown.  This would suggest to me that the watch has something special going on that's not specified in the ad--say, a 14K solid gold case, maybe?   That would also explain the name of Golden Eagle, wouldn't it?

Yes, the case is a bit different from your watch, but there could have been variations of the Golden Eagle, just as there were variations of the American Eagle.  Your case actually looks like the American Eagle "C".   Like I said, it's just a theory, but it's all I have at the moment.

Here's the ad.  Let me know what you think.

Here's an excerpt showing the Golden Eagle only:

- Lisa
LCOX LCOX

Re: 1939 AMERICAN EAGLE C IN SOLID 14K

I think your theory is probably correct based on the price and name. Do you think the cord band is original? It seems that I recall seeing that type of band on vintage men's Bulovas before. I recently purchased this watch on eBay for $285. I was surprised that I was the only bidder.  I really appreciate the time and effort you took to research this for me.

Sincerely,
Lynn Cox

Re: 1939 AMERICAN EAGLE C IN SOLID 14K

I think the strap may well be original.  Below is an excerpt from a 1939 ad showing a brown corded strap on a similarly styled model.  In fact, the American Eagle A appears in that same ad (though it has a different strap).  That certainly tells us that the looped, corded strap, while much more popular for women, was also used on men's models in 1939, at the same time that the American Eagle watches were produced.

- Lisa